Saturday, March 6, 2010

Almost Ready

Boy the days are flying, but we are getting prepared. Got our taxes done and we are ready to drop them in the mail, and we got all the bills on automatic payment and finally got around to purchasing some travel medical insurance. All we have left to do is send our after the Camino clothes to my friend Iker in San Sebastian, clean the house, get the laptop set up for my mother-in-law so we can Skype with her and drive to NYC and visit with the kids.

The day before yesterday we looked at some lodging possibilities in SJPP. We emailed a few and ultimately took Eva's recommendation and booked where she stayed. We decided we will wing it when we get to Bordeaux. VinoTinto on the Santiago Forum stayed at a Ibis hotel near the train station, so we going to show up and see if they have a room for two nights. Middle of the week in March...shouldn't be a problem.

We got everything for our packs. Palma's pack is around 16 pounds and mine is under 25....just haven't weighed it with my 90 days worth of meds! We have had some decent days to walk and it is becoming easy to walk 8 miles. We have yet to do something longer. Hopefully, the practice we've done will be helpful. Today we walked from Rosslyn to the National Portrait Gallery and back. Beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky in the mid 50's but a bit windy.





Walking on the Fairfax Connector Trail yesterday












Today, walking by the Iwo Jima Memorial
















The Netherland Carillon a gift from the dutch that expresses the gratitude of the Dutch people for American aid received during and after World War II.











More scenes from our walk today

3 comments:

  1. I believe that the capitol region is most beautiful in the Spring and your pics support that opinion.

    Yes, April 1 is the opening day for most albergues and municipal refugios. I'm sure you've kept up on the info along the Way.

    Buen Camino,
    Arn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am seriously looking forward (with a tinge of Wicked Witch green!) to reading your blog updates. I so wish I were going this year. For trying to map out your routes, there's a website I use for riding and running that's very accurate, called MapMyRide (or Run ...etc) and it's really nice. Give it a looks see, I used it for mapping out training for the Marine Corp Marathon last year! Enjoyed seeing pics of some of the route on your blog. Wishing you all the best, Buen Camino, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola!
    I too will be following you with much envy. I will make my attempt in March of 2013, starting with two weeks of immersive French school in Lyon, then starting at Le Puy-en-velay along the Via Podensis. I figure this will be my one Grand Adventure, so am going to make the most of it.
    I look forward to reading of your adventures and learning from them, for when my day comes. I am here in DC, working at the Pentagon, so appreciate the tips for local training trails.
    Buen Camino Peregrinos!

    Brad

    AKA Don Braulio

    ReplyDelete