Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pictures of Spain 1950 & 60s

I thought it might be fun posting pictures from my childhood in Spain. I have been slowly going through my dad's things since he passed away and occasionally find pictures from then. If I could complain I'd tell him he did not take enough pictures of Spain!! Anyway here are a few.


My brother with my his dog Guerrero, my friend David and me with my dog Chatita on our balcony at Calle de Castellón de la Plana 1, Madrid







Me in our living room of our apartment.













My brother standing at the intersection of calle de Castellón de la Plana and calle de Oquendo












My mother with Red Skelton when he visited Madrid













In front of a friends house on calle del Turia up the street from Estadio Santiago Bernabéu











From the movie set "55 Days in Peking"...still looking for picture my dad took of me standing in front of the "US Embassy". I got Charlton Heston's autograph soon after this when my parents threw him a party!










One of the more interesting persons I ever met, Madame de Beaufort. She was a French Basque from a town called called Guéthary, France. She was in the French resistance during the war and had some really good stories to tell. Her daughter was the head of the French news service in Madrid.






Our maid Carmen (who first told me about the Camino) and her friend Mercedes sunning themselves on the balcony.












When we left Spain, my parents paid for Carmen's wedding. I am trying to figure out where this was. All I remember was it was near the Commodore Hotel. Sad thing was her husband turned out to be a alcoholic and they had a bad marriage. Such a shame, she was one of the sweetest people I ever knew.





Hotel Teina Cristina in Algeriras, where we caught our ship the Vulcania when we left Spain.

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting pictures! I've just realised checking google maps that I met my friends two blocks away from Oquendo and Castellón de la Plana intersection, in López de Hoyos! You could have a look in google maps with the google street view if you can recognise any of the buildings. It's like going for a walk!

    ReplyDelete